Mom with children having a great time after receiving spousal support

Ex Husband Not Paying Bills After a Divorce? You Can Enforce

After going through a divorce in Texas, it can be challenging to step into a new chapter of your life. This next season can be especially challenging if your former spouse is not following the terms of a divorce decree to provide you with financial support.

Fortunately, you have the ability to enforce the original order – or even modify the original order. The key is knowing how to go through the legal system to compel your ex to pay what they have been ordered.

An ex husband not paying bills after a judge issued an order will not sit favorably with the court. So, let’s dive into the process of petitioning the court to enforce the original order.

Steps to Enforce a Court Order After Divorce

To enforce the order, you must go through a series of steps. It helps to have a divorce lawyer on your side to ensure that your interests are represented during each step in the process.

1. Inform the Court

If your ex-husband isn’t following a divorce order, you should contact a family law lawyer immediately to begin the process of requesting enforcement.

At Parker & Aguilar, our attorneys will help you petition the court to enforce the order. You will also need to present the judge with evidence supporting your claim that your ex isn’t paying their bills.

2. Enforce the Order

While you may be limited in your ability to force your spouse to provide financial support, the judge isn’t. According to Texas law, the judge has several options available to force one party to follow an order.

First, the judge can hold your ex in contempt of court. This option means the judge can put them in jail or levy a fine. Typically, a judge will avoid these options, because then it would have the counter-effect of decreasing your spouse’s ability to provide payment.

However, a judge can place a lien on specific property owned by your ex. For example, if the judge places a lien on his car, the court will get the proceeds if he tries to sell it, which will be given to you.

Finally, when court-ordered spousal support is not paid, the judge can order that your ex-husband’s wages be garnished. In this case, a portion of the wages from the earning spouse are automatically transferred to you.

3. Consider a Modification of the Court Order

Alternatively, if you believe your ex-husband legitimately cannot pay what has been ordered but wants to provide what support he can afford, you could pursue a modification of the order.

You should pursue this option only if you know your ex-husband is acting in good faith. Working with an attorney is beneficial because you can request legal documents from your former spouse proving that he is not trying to avoid payment.

Ex Husband Not Paying Bills: Consult With Parker & Aguilar

Whether your ex-husband likes the divorce decree or not, he cannot ignore the terms of the divorce. An ex husband not paying bills could put you in financial jeopardy or risk the safety of your children. A Texas judge will not look kindly on anyone who causes difficulties by going against a court order.

If you’ve tried to talk to your former husband about paying what he owes, you can find support from our family law office. Our persistent family law attorneys are ready to discuss your legal options and advocate on your behalf.

We currently support clients in Fort Bend County, Brazoria County, Galveston County, and Matagorda County. If you live in one of these counties, contact our offices ​​to discuss your situation.

You can reach us at 979-267-7660 (Angleton office) or 281-944-5485 (Sugar Land office) to speak with a local attorney from our team who is ready to fight for your rights. Let’s make sure you receive the proper financial support.