A frustrated woman on the phone after finding out that her husband refuses to pay their divorce settlement

What to Do if Your Husband Refuses to Pay the Divorce Settlement

One of the primary reasons the legal divorce process can drag out for a while is because of disputes regarding assets, property, bank accounts, and other financial aspects.

Just when you think you and your ex-spouse have come to a decision, there is typically another monetary issue that arises. Then, this sets off another round of negotiations and discussions about the division of assets and the payments that should be made.

Unfortunately, these frustrating issues often continue after the divorce agreement is finalized. Suddenly, reality hits about what was agreed to, and your husband refuses to pay the divorce settlement.

Don’t worry. The law is on your side. I’ll further explain how this process works of enforcing a divorce order to ensure that you receive all you are owed.

Why Your Husband Could Be Refusing to Pay Divorce Settlement

Some husbands become resentful after going through the divorce process and refuse to follow the terms of the divorce order. Or, for other ex-spouses, the change that comes with a divorce is not fully realized until they are actually living their new life.

– For example, your ex-spouse may have agreed to pay a certain amount in child support or alimony (known as spousal maintenance in Texas) as part of the settlement, thinking that this amount was acceptable.

But, when the divorce is finalized, and it’s time to make the first payment, your ex-spouse has a change of heart and is now unwilling to make payments.

– You could be facing a different financial roadblock following the divorce. Perhaps your ex-husband is unwilling to provide you with access to a bank account that was assigned to you as part of the settlement.

Or, he could be refusing to comply with how property should be divided, such as attempting to keep possession of a vehicle or home that was legally assigned to you.

– No matter why your ex-husband is refusing to comply with the court order or what the dispute is about, you have the right to enforce a divorce order in Texas court to ensure that your husband pays the settlement.

How to Enforce a Divorce Settlement in Texas

Texas courts do not look fondly upon individuals that do not comply with the terms of an order. If your ex-husband refuses to comply with the divorce order, then he is at risk of being held in contempt of court.

As an expert family law attorney, I can help you file an enforcement order that will hold your ex-spouse responsible for paying what he owes. I will help enforce the overall terms of the divorce settlement and work toward addressing specific instances of non-compliance, including:

  • Failure to pay child support following the divorce
  • Refusal to make spousal maintenance payments
  • Failure to comply with the agreed-upon division of assets
  • Refusal to relinquish certain pieces of property that you are rightfully owed
  • Other specific instances of non-compliance

Then, if your ex-spouse fails to meet his obligations after a judge enforces the original order, he could face jail time and a hefty fine. This is not an ideal outcome, especially because it could negatively impact the relationship between your ex-husband and your children.

That’s why enforcing the original order is the best way for everyone to avoid further damage so that each party can move on from the divorce and successfully step into their new post-divorce life.

Find Support Enforcing a Divorce Order in Texas

I understand that it’s typically easier to work with a third party if your husband is refusing to pay the divorce settlement. You’re already weary from going through numerous financial battles during the divorce, and the last thing you want to do is have another discussion about his refusal to follow through on the terms of the divorce order.

Let me serve as your legal advocate helping enforce the divorce order. I practice family law exclusively so that I can provide my clients with the best possible representation and legal support.

I currently help spouses with post-divorce legal challenges in Brazoria County, Fort Bend County, and Harris County. If you live in one of these counties, then contact me right away to discuss enforcing the divorce order.

Call my offices today at 281-944-5485 or 979-267-7660 to get started with an enforcement. I am here to help you navigate the legal process!